Wednesday, August 5, 2009

and the living is easy. (or, a retrospective look at my summer.)

So I think I can count this as one of the best summers of my life. Really - while not everything may have been perfect, I have really had an awesome time. Just a quick review of all the wonderful things I've done/learned:

  • Fly Over Land! I can barely even feel like that was this summer. It just seems like ages ago now... it was a good experience. Very different, to say the least! But I loved everyone I was working with, so all is well in that department. Understudying is never as rewarding as actually having the part, but I did get to dance so that was excellent! =)
  • I moved into my new apartment! I have bills and things now... that's different. It's a weird "growing up" thing that I never thought would actually happen, but it has. It's strange.
  • I went to Saint Augustine with Anna! While that may not be the most "productive" or "life-changing" part of my summer, it was really very fun. I am really not very good at just relaxing and hanging out or vacationing at all, so it was good for me I think. Plus, I got to spend time with one of the people I rarely get to spend a lot of time with and we had a blast =)
  • Of course, need I mention that I got to go to four different countries this summer? Three of which I had never been to! Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, and France! Exciting!
  • I got lost on the German railway system. Way to go me! Once alone and once with Caleb. I think it was scarier by myself though =P
  • I learned a lot this summer actually, in class. I was really not aware of how much Germany contributed to modern theatre and now I'm really very fascinated with a lot of it. Specifically, I would like to read more Brecht than I have and actually be able to analyze it in terms of what Epic Theatre is rather than just say "Oh I don't like this..." You know?
  • I also learned a lot about Beethoven... and I would just like to say that I love his music. Seriously, love.
  • I saw some crazy German Cirque-Du-Soleil type show with a pool and chandelier and strippers... what?!
  • I am pretty much completely over the idea of Brian altogether. It may have taken forever, but I finally am DONE being mad about it. It's nice to be able to forgive people and move on. Finally. Took me long enough, I suppose.
  • I got nine credit hours done this summer - GO ME.
  • I lost nine pounds. Hooray! I'm generally a lot healthier than I was, and hopefully since I am going to be dancing literally every single day for the next few weeks, I'll keep the weight off! (not to mention I've been eating TONS healthier, despite the ice cream of Konigswinter!)
  • Oh, I should probably mention this too - Footloose! I auditioned at the Springer and I got into a show that will be going up this fall. It's pretty awesome to me because I really was kind of getting into that grumpy not-in-a-show-so-the-world-is-a-horrible-place mode that I sometimes go into when it's been about a month or two since I've been onstage... Hah! True story.
In general, the summer has been great. I've learned a lot (not just academically - also things like "stay in groups at train stations!" and "learn to let it go" are very important) and I've worked a lot. Maybe it wasn't the summer I originally had planned, but it really was amazing. I have a lot to look forward to this coming year as well - so I guess my little life adventure goes on.

peace out girl scout.

No comments: