Friday, July 25, 2008

I feel exhausted.

So as it is, I feel like my days have been interesting enough to update daily.

Today was a full day on Saint Catherine's Island and now that I have had a historical/informational tour, I can tell you a little more about it!

But first things first, not only did I get to SEE baby sea turtles get released into the ocean, but I got to HELP RELEASE THEM. Maybe it's just me but it feels like a once-in-a-lifetime experience (at least for someone like me, whose feild has nothing to do with sea turtles!). It was incredible to think that they had just hatched earlier that day and they were about to swim hundreds of miles! Amazing.

But anyway, today we woke up and took a historical tour of Saint Catherine's, including some of the old slave settlements, the old mission church (which was apparently the first established church in the state of Georgia?), and the Button Gwinnett House, which by the way - is GORGEOUS. Though it does seem like something that a murder mystery would take place in.

(pictures will be posted up - probably Monday?)

Basically the island is a reserve. It's funded by the Saint Catherine's Foundation and they rehabilitate wild animals and watch the environment basically as it naturally is. Like if a tree falls in the forrest, they don't move it. No one is allowed on the island except by invitation, and it's usually only for scientific or archaelogical reasons. Which is pretty cool. So it's really pretty much gorgeous.

Late this afternoon I went out early to the beach with a few others and we went and picked up sea shells - some of the biggest conch shells I've seen in forever! Just some incredible finds, to be honest. Then we went seining out in the ocean - which is exhausting. Basically we hauled in a lot of fish, but the coolest thing of all was this three foot (that is a rough personal estimate. we took a measurement for documentation) stingray that Shannon and I pulled in. It was just a beautiful creature.

Then we headed back for some low country boil. YUM.

As much fun as I am having though, I'm definitely ready to be home. Days on this trip are LONG, and I've overheated more than a few times and gotten sick. I am tired of smelling like bug spray and I'm ready for my feet to feel clean and dry most of the time! Haha. No really, I am ready for school to start back in a big way. I want it to be August 15th so badly!

It's just that I want something to do, but I want it to be what I love, and not just science. Which can be super fun, but can also be super annoying haha.

Basically, I'm having fun, but the fun needs to end soon.

(Tomorrow, we go help with Turtle Eggs then we go out on the troller and then seine some more. Then dinner and bed. Then Sunday morning we pack up and leave for home, thank goodness!)

I don't mean to sound whiney, but it's just time.

No comments: